Some say Fall, or Autumn, is the best season of the year. With the beautiful change of colors and the crisp cool weather, it's a wonderful time of Pumpkin Spice, romantic fireplaces and fun activities around town. The official start of Fall this year is on September 22, 2016, according to The Old Farmer's Almanac.
Naperville has several family-friendly activities for you to enjoy this Fall. From outdoor festivals to concerts, and hayrides and pumpkin picking, here are a few events you need to add to your calendar:
- Saturday, September 24 – Museum Day Live, sponsored by Smithsonian Magazine, is offering two free admission tickets for Saturday only at participating Museums across the State of Illinois, including many found in the Chicagoland area found on this list.
- Saturday, September 24 and Sunday, September 25 – Naper Settlement in Naperville is hosting a Harvest Pow-Wow to celebrate Native American heritage. For more information on times and ticket prices, click here.
- Saturday September 24 and Sunday, September 25 – Art Fairs in Edgewater and Hyde Park in Chicago with arts and crafts for all ages.
- Saturday, September 24 through October 16 – Midnight Circus at the Park at the following park locations in the Chicagoland area by date: September 24-25 at Oriole Park, October 1-2 at Independence Park, October 8-9 at Hamlin Park, and October 14-16 at Welles Park.
Looking ahead to the end of the month and the rest of Fall, here are additional events:
- September 30 and October 1 – Naper Settlement is hosting Oktoberfest to celebrate German heritage through food, drinks, and variety of activities. Note: kid-friendly events will take place October 1st noon – 5 p.m. For more information and to order tickets, click here.
- October 7 through October 15 – If you like ghost stories, then you won’t want to miss Ghost Stories in the Park…in the Dark at the Naperville Riverwalk. Recommended for children over 5 and up.
- October 14 and October 15 – Naper Settlement is celebrating an All Hallow’s Eve experience with hauntings and other fiendish Halloween-themed activities; suitable for children over 8 and up.
- October 9, October 15, October 23, and October 29 – Family hayrides for ages 3 and up held at Naperville Parks as specified here.
- October 10 – The Naperville Parks District is hosting Family Bingo Night at the ARRCC Community Hall.
- October 29 and October 30 – Come dressed in Halloween costume to attend a Halloween Hayride at Knoch Knolls Park Picnic Grove in Naperville. Children ages 3-12 registered for this event will receive goodie bags.
- October 29 – There will be a SCARE-ILLON Halloween-themed concert at the Naperville Millennium Carillion after dark.
- October 30 – Attend Halloween Happening event at the Naperville Riverwalk for fun and games for ages 0-10.
All October long (unless otherwise specified), there will also be several pumpkin picking events and Fall festivals held at pumpkin patches throughout Chicagoland at these fun locations:
- Sonny Acres (West Chicago, IL) Fall Festival 2016.
- Bengtson’s Pumpkin Farm (Homer Glen, IL) Bengtson’s Pumpkin Fest 2016.
- Siegel’s Cottonwood Farm (Lockport, IL) Top-rated Pumpkin Patch for Pumpkin Fest 2016 going on now through October 31st.
- Heap’s Giant Pumpkin Farm (Minooka, IL) visit all Fall for exciting activities for all ages.
- Dollinger Family Farm (Channahon, IL) visit the farm’s pumpkin patch and attractions.